Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blog Post #2

The first mistake is "Wyview Park and Heritage Halls have visiting hours just like Helaman Halls, however their visiting hours are every day for around ten hours." This sentence is a comma splice because I joined two independent clauses with a comma. The corrected sentence should look like this "Wyview Park and Heritage Halls have visiting hours just like Helaman Halls; however, their visiting hours are every day for around ten hours."
The second, third, fourth, and fifth mistakes are "Unlike in the summer and fall semesters where students are able to socialize outside due to the nice weather, they don't have that luxury in the winter semester." This sentence is a comma splice for the same reason as the first mistake. The other mistakes are that summer, fall, and winter semesters are all proper nouns so they should be capitalized. I may have just cheated but there are five mistakes so I'm just going to write the revised sentences with the four mistakes fixed, "Unlike in the Summer and Fall semesters where students are able to socialize outside due to the nice weather. They don't have that luxury in the Winter semester."
On the issue of peer reviews I really find them helpful because the more people that read your paper the better it can be. I also think that when you look over your own paper you tend to miss some of the grammatical errors unless you are specifically looking for them. Whereas, when someone else reads them they are able to see a lot more mistakes, and when there are three to four different people looking over it the mistakes will most likely all be found.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if you noticed this when you were typing out your new sentence(s) for errors 2, 3, 4, and 5, but I think that this isn't correct either. You have:

    "Unlike in the Summer and Fall semesters where students are able to socialize outside due to the nice weather. They don't have that luxury in the Winter semester."

    The first sentence is a fragment, so I suggest just adding the two sentences together and switching words around a little bit to have it make more sense.

    You are right though. I have a hard time seeing the mistakes that I make in my own writing and I think it's really helpful to have peer reviews. Hopefully my little review just now helped haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Sam said is correct, but all of your other changes were correct. Nicely done! I hope the peer review today was helpful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said about Peer reviews is so true haha! Today we got insight that will significantly help our papers. (by the way thanks for your input):)Anyways, hope my suggestions will help your paper! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I always can't find grammatical errors when I look at my own paper. That was one thing I wish our peers were allowed to do though. To be allowed to look for those as well because that would have been very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more! I alway read my paper and my mind just automatically fixes my mistakes unlike when someone else reads it, they find the mistakes i can't find.

    ReplyDelete